A Rare Jewel Intact
To learn more about the incredible history of the Methodist Home for the Aged, now the Hebron SDA School, at 914-920 Park Place in Crown Heights, Brooklyn, read the whole story here. The Methodist Home building complex and its grounds received national and state landmark designation in 2011. They are included in the 2011 Crown Heights North Phase 2 Historic District, as designated by the Landmarks Preservation Commission (LPC).
Construction of the oldest part of the complex dates back to 1889. The then-called “Home for the Aged” was born out of a sense of charity and social consciousness. Since its initial construction, the edifice has been considered the crown jewel of the neighborhood.
Today it is the only remaining 19th century institutional building in the district, and is the neighborhood’s finest example of a Romanesque revival building.